Sunday, September 14, 2014

MagPod Review

I know several folks have been waiting to get their hands on this product, and I was fortunate enough to get a couple prototypes to try out so I'll share that experience with everyone who's waiting for them to be available for purchase.  A note on availability, the release date is supposed to be mid-October.  There have been issues with materials and availability, so kudos to the makers of MagPod for dealing with some people being upset over delay as opposed to pushing out and inferior product.




Now, the MagPod.  Basically it's a polymer replacement floorplate that will fit on Gen 2 and up PMags.  It weighs less than one ounce and is a handy piece of equipment.  It essentially gives you a monopod on your magazine.  It has a large "foot" at the lead of the magazine that offsets the angle of the magazine as you rest it on whatever surface.



I took the MagPod out and used it in both range and field environments.  Since I had two, I also did some weapons manipulation and mag changes with it.  I only found benefits in it's use.  The only thing that it really changed how I operate is that it somewhat affected my mag changes.  It didn't hinder my mag changes in any way, but it caused my hand position to change somewhat.  Due to the extra real estate the MagPod provides, it did give me a little more positive purchase on the mag when I did changes.

So how did it perform when placing the mag on a surface such as when you're proned out you might ask?  Flawlessly.  I don't normally push onto the mag when shooting as I'm not a huge proponent of it, but I had no issues doing it while using the MagPod.  I ran it with both my War Sport Ind. LVOA (check out their new website) and my Daniel Defense/Spike's Tactical franken-gun.



Let me just say, I had better pics and I even had video.  I screwed that up, so I'll post a few pics of the MagPod on here, but I recommend checking out the MagPod Facebook page for more.

It did help stabilize the rifle for follow-up shots when leaning forward into it.  Let me also say that you don't necessarily need to lean only into the MagPod for it to work.  With the large foot on front I was able to support the weight of the rifle and only slightly push into mag for it to be effective.  It doesn't give much side to side stabilization because it's not very wide, but you wouldn't want it to be any wider.

I found an unexpected benefit while using it in a field environment doing some bounding and shooting.  It had rained recently and there were some soft spots.  The Magpod with it's extra "footprint" kept the mag from sinking into soft ground and accidentally pushing any debris up into the mag.  While that's not a huge problem and not something I've had issues with, in some situations and certain environmental conditions that could be helpful.

Keep in mind you don't just have to be proned out to utilize it.  It can be utilized on barriers or any surface no matter what position you're in.  It's also pretty tough.  I put it through it's paces and it held up just fine.



All in all, is this something everyone needs.....no.  The MagPod isn't going to be for everyone.  Is it something most folks should try....yes.  It does have its benefits.  I think it's a great little piece of kit and I'll be glad to have them in my inventory for certain situations.  For me the biggest benefit is the stabilization it provides for follow up shots when able to load it on a surface.  I've been shooting AR style platforms for 17 years, so I'm used to shooting prone pretty well.  I'm hearing the retail on these bad boys should be around $20 for a 3 pack.  At that price, I recommend picking up a 3 pack once they come out and giving them a test drive.  Give Magpod a "like" on Facebook and standby for a release date.

1 comment:

  1. I imagine Magpul's ranger plates will do nearly the exact same thing, plus the added advantage of having the loop that facilitates quick removal of the mag from your pouches. They're cheaper, too.

    ReplyDelete